Translate this Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2013

From the Darkness into the 5 Red Lights

From the unbearable silence to the sound of 22 V8 engines accelerating into Turn 1 at Albert Park. This is what has driven my passion for F1. This is what the first notes of The Chain do to me on the first day of coverage every year. This is the reason I get up at a godforsaken hour to tune into live coverage of Melbourne. The beautiful, momentary pause between the lights going out and 22 drivers putting the pedal to the proverbial metal.  That is the moment when the off-season becomes a distant memory and last season becomes just another footnote in the history of the sport.

This year the sound of The Chain won't be heard before the live race.  This year, sadly, I won't be able to watch it live on the BBC so I'll have to find it elsewhere...


With 9 days to go to the Australian GP it's prediction time for the first race! About time!

I wrote these predictions down four days ago and have been trying to write justifications for them but, having failed to do that this year I'm basing my predictions on my complete inability to get my head around the sheer volumes of data, lap charts, testing regimes, etc.

Over the 12 days of testing I've read, seen, and written about so much stuff that I just can't functionally pull all of the disparate information into any coherent narrative.  Believe me I've tried to write the "complete" summary of where everyone seems to be after testing but, while I think I might have an insight I can't provide it as an outsight.

My predictions for Melbourne are based on my own understanding of the teams and testing and are probably completely and wildly inaccurate. My  results are reliability assumed, with everyone finishing the race

World Drivers' Championship Standings after Melbourne
2013 Helmet
Position
Driver
Team
1
Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull

25
2
Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

18

3
Mark Webber
Red Bull

15
4
Jenson Button
Mclaren

12

5
Felipe Massa
Ferrari

10
6
Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

8
7
Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

6
8
Sergio Perez
McLaren

4
9
Kimi Raikkonen
Lotus

2
10
Valtteri Bottas
Williams

1

11
Pastor Maldonado
Williams
12
Romain Grosjean
Lotus
13
Nico Hulkenberg
Sauber
14
Paul di Resta
Force India
15
Adrian Sutil
Force India
16
Esteban Gutierrez
Sauber
17
Daniel Ricciardo
Toro Rosso
18
Jean Eric Vergne
Toro Rosso
19
Jules Bianchi
Marussia
20
Charles Pic
Caterham
21
Giedo van der Garde
Caterham
22
Max Chilton
Marussia
Now, I'd prefer if Mark Webber won in Melbourne because it's his home race and I like him a lot as a driver but I'm not giving it to him based on his team-mates previous performances.  Similarly Felipe might be in the running for second and, on the same basis Fernando Alonso gets the nod ahead of him.

Jenson Button, I believe is still faster than Sergio Perez, so he gets the nod as does Lewis over Nico, though I'm open to Nico proving me wrong. Where team-mates are side-by-side the names are interchangeable as with Mercedes, Williams, Force India, and Toro Rosso.

I'm pretty sure that we'll see at least one of the Williams and one of the McLaren's retire, due to the fact that these are not evolutionary cars unlike the majority of the rest of the field, so technically there's more chance of something going wrong.  I also think one of the Lotus might fail to finish due to their inconsistent nature over the course of testing so far.

That would give points to Sauber or Force India should their lead drivers come home.

You might notice that I've put Jules Bianchi ahead of the Caterhams and that's because, after only one and a half days of testing he was right in the mix.  He might well be Rookie of the season if he can continue in that vein.  It's not inconceivable either that Esteban Gutierrez ends up behind the Toro Rosso's if they have made improvements which they have deliberately "Sandbagged" throughout testing.  They did a good enough job in Jerez to warrant a closer look.


But I'm excited because I've seen the lap charts from Barcelona, read the experts and listened to the teams, and I think I can give a good guess as to who's been sandbagging and who has given it their all.  I think I may have an idea of what we'll see Down Under even though the weight of information has left me reeling.

It looks as if Sauber are slightly faster than Force India at this stage, with Toro Rosso coming up fast behind Force India.  This is based on similar testing runs, but without knowledge of the fuel loads.

Mercedes look as if they may be just ahead of the Ferrari and on a par with the Red Bull, particularly over one lap, but both of the latter two teams are well known to run heavier fuel loads to hide their true speed. No matter, the Mercedes cars are there or thereabouts.  They are likely to be in the mix at the front.

McLaren look to be off the pace by around 0.3 of a second but once again without fuel data it's based solely on the similarities between their test runs with those of other teams.

Williams seem to have been doing their own thing and therefore I can read nothing into their performance other than to say that it is consistent, though it is worth noting that the driver's consider the car to be significantly better to drive than last year - that does not necessarily translate to quicker.

Lotus have shown the ability to consistently put in the laptimes over the long runs so it may be that they, once again, will have a good relationship with the tyres and can challenge at the front on a mixture of speed and strategy.

Caterham, as I've said before would appear to be under serious pressure from the Marussia team.

When all is said and done though, testing is, for us fans simply a portal through which we must travel to bring us from the darkness of the off-season to the 5 red lights; from the unbearable silence to the sound of 22 V8's fighting to achieve the first win of the season.  All this is happening in less than 10 days.  Be prepared!

Predicted Constructor's Championship after Melbourne


Position
Team
Points
1
Red Bull

40

2
Ferrari

28
3
McLaren

16

4
Mercedes

14

5
Lotus

2

6
Williams

1

7
Force India


0
8
Sauber


0
9
Toro Rosso

0

10
Marussia

0

11
Caterham

0